Conference Center Support – NSF
National Science Foundation, Division of Administrative Services
– 2010-present –
NSF’s Meeting and Events Management (MEM) team required assistance to coordinate and manage day-to-day conference room registrations, cancellations, changes and reconfirmations for its 27 conference rooms and the handling of an average of 75 requests daily. In addition, the team required help coordinating A/V technical support and conference room setup for up to 100 conferences and panel meetings daily. Each conference room needed to be monitored throughout the day to ensure that all client needs including laptop rentals, video teleconferencing connections, and catering, were met.
Since October 2010, two full-time NCC employees have been based at NSF’s Arlington headquarters to support MEM personnel. The NCC team’s tasks include ensuring all requests for conference rooms are processed in a timely manner, daily monitoring of each room throughout each day, and recording and subsequently meeting all client requests. Special attention is given to details such as A/V requirements and room configuration requests that are imperative for successful communication at each meeting. In the event that the on-site NSF conference assets are operating at full capacity, NCC’s team members work with local hotels and conference centers to accommodate NSF’s conference overflow requirements.
The NCC employees have successfully integrated with MEM members in order to provide day-to-day reception and administrative support within the MEM office to answer phones, assist walk-in customers, respond to e-mails, maintain calendars, develop room inventory lists, solidify room booking procedures, and establish relationships with local hotels for overflow.
Some significant achievements in the six months we have supported MEM include:
- Successful relocation of over 60 meetings from two conference rooms during extensive renovation;
- Proactive and early identification of over 100 reservations that were no longer needed, allowing the rooms to be opened to other customers;
- Developed inventory tracking and monitoring system for AV equipment usage in conference rooms;
- Creation and ongoing updates to a resource binder to include instructions, guidelines, pertinent information about MEM conference rooms, services, and products, and points of contact from A to Z;
- Creation of labels and complete inventory of all new keys for MEM conference rooms;
- Development and application of quality control procedures to ensure higher accuracy in room reservations and utilization.