Industry Day Conference – NIH
On September 30, 2009, the National Institutes of Health awarded NCC a contract to provide Conference and Event Planning services for their first ever Industry Day conference for small businesses. The purpose of the event was to encourage relationships between various NIH Institutes and Centers and small businesses from around the United States.
Throughout the course of planning the 2010 Industry Day conference, NCC’s Conference Planners constantly adjusted to NIH’s evolving requests. While the conference was initially planned for March 2010, NIH rescheduled the event for June in order to better fit its internal schedule. NCC was able to shift reservations, staffing schedules, and budgets in order to hold the event 3 months later.
As the June 2010 Industry Day approached, we increased the number of staff assigned to supporting the contract. Consequently, when NIH requested for NCC to create a welcome package for Industry Day guests with only 2.5 weeks left to design the collateral, engage vendors, and provide drafts of these items to NIH, we completed the task on time and within budget. The 2010 Industry Day package included tote bags, an informational book that included the conference agenda and biographies of VIP attendees, notepads, folders, and pens.
The results of NCC’s efforts included the following:
- Successful lodging and conference cost negotiations with the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center;
- Utilization of our own A/V equipment and personnel to save the government over $2,000;
- Attendance of over 700 individuals, including representatives from 400 small businesses and 150 government representatives;
- Active participation in formal networking sessions that matched NIH Project Officers and Procurement staff with small businesses; and,
- Project execution on time and within budget.
Upon successful execution of NIH’s inaugural Industry Day Event on June 8, 2010, key NIH stakeholders provided positive feedback about the event and informally requested NCC’s services for future Industry Day events.